Why Linking is Better Than Copying
The "copies" referred to in my copyright notice are mainly intended to be
paper. If you're on the web, it would really be better if you
link to one of my pages rather than making a copy of it;
there are several problems with making your own copy:
You may even have gotten to a copy yourself; there are a couple out
there, that were made before I started strongly urging people not to
- I update it occasionally. You don't get the updates, and some
of them are important.
- People using search engines may find your copy instead of the
``official'' version. In fact, this is rather likely.
- People may make links to your copy, and never know they
weren't getting the original.
- And, of course, a link takes up much less space on your server.
Of course, there may be some reasons why you'd prefer to make a copy: you
might be located on the far end of a slow link (in which case you consider
getting a caching proxy server), or you may want to make some changes (and I'd
really rather you didn't, but maybe we can discuss it).
Copyright 1997 by Stephen Savitzky. All rights reserved.
This document may be freely linked to, though I would appreciate a brief note
via e-mail so that I can thank you personally and possibly return the
Copies or excerpts of this document may be made and distributed in any
physical medium for any non-commercial purpose, provided:
- This notice, the date last modified, the author's name, and the
document's URL remain intact (or, for copies or excerpts accessible
through the World Wide Web, a link to the original document is
- Any changes to wording are clearly identified with author and date.
- I am notified of any such copying other than for the personal use of
If you wish to copy this document for commercial gain or make it part of a
shareware distribution, please contact me at the address below in order to
negotiate a license.
If you wish to make an electronic copy, please make a link instead.
Here's why linking is better than copying.
$Id: why-not-copy.html,v 1.1 2007-12-01 23:52:15 steve Exp $
Last modified: Wed Jun 30 06:22:01 1999
Stephen R. Savitzky <steve@theStarport.org>
343 Leigh Ave.
San Jose, CA 95128